Fall is in full swing bringing cooler temperatures, shorter daylight hours and warmer jackets. As we transition into winter, it’s a good time to think about energy savings. We all know Minnesota winters can be brutal, both as you walk outside and on your pocket book as you pay for heating. We can’t control the weather, but we can provide some energy saving tips to make this winter not so difficult on your bank account, whether for your home, your multi housing property or your commercial building.
The average U.S. household consumes tens of thousands of kilowatt hours of electricity each year, and much of it is completely unnecessary. Making a few simple changes can save a significant amount of money while also reducing your carbon footprint. Here are some tips to help.
- Unplug electronics, gaming consoles and chargers when not in use.
- Insulate your water heater with a blanket and turn the temperature down to at least 120 degrees.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with LEDs or compact fluorescent lamps and turn them off anytime you leave a room.
- Replace your thermostat with a programmable one that can be adjusted for times when you aren’t home.
- Use energy saving settings on refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines and clothes dryers.
- Check the age and condition of your major appliances, specifically the refrigerator. It may be time to replace it with a more energy-efficient model.
- Clean or replace furnace, air conditioner and heat pump filters
- Insulate hot water pipes and ducts whenever they run through unheated areas.
- Find and seal air leaks. Check doors, windows and pipes then use weatherstripping or caulk to stop cool air from seeping in.
- Consider replacing old, drafty windows with newer, energy-efficient ones.
- Close fireplace dampers when not in use. If you no longer use your fireplace, you can have the flume completely sealed off.
- Open shades and blinds during the day to let in natural heat from the sun.
- Use insulating drapes to diffuse winter chill at night or on cloudy days.
- Add extra insulation to walls and attic spaces.
- Schedule an energy audit for more expert advice on your particular home or facility. You can contact your utility company or state energy office for this.
Making just a few lifestyle changes can make an impact on your energy bill. In addition, spending some money on more energy-efficient appliances or added insulation now will save you money down the road.
If your commercial building or multi housing facility in the Twin Cities area could use some energy upgrades, let our team handle it! Building Maintenance Management specializes in making buildings more efficient. Give us a call at 763-541-4886 or Contact Us to get started!
The Building Maintenance Management team is proud to have taken part in helping one of our valued clients win a MADACS award. Their award was for a Partial/Project Remodel: Unit. The MADACS awards recognize owners and associates who have made significant contributions to multi-housing marketing and management through exemplary achievements.
The annual MADACS awards are hosted by the Minnesota Multi Housing Association. MHA is a state-wide nonprofit trade organization with nearly 2,100 members representing more than 250,000 housing units throughout Minnesota. MHA serves as the voice of the state’s multi housing industry.
BMM worked with the winning management company at a multi-housing complex to remodel the kitchen and bathroom in addition to adding new flooring and painting. This was the award-winning partial remodeling project of a unit.
The photo shows a few of our team members proudly displaying the award for the work they did with the remodel.
We are excited we could be a part of the property management company’s success. Here is a before and after photo showing some of the work we did.
As a Twin Cities property maintenance company, we do so much more than just maintenance. We also help improve multi-housing properties to attract more tenants and to keep units updated for current tenants. From major remodeling projects to small improvements, our team can help with whatever is needed.
If you are looking for a commercial property maintenance company in the Twin Cities areas, give BMM a call at 763-541-4886 or you can Contact Us.
As a commercial property owner or manager, you have a lot to handle! Running the business, handling finances and managing staff are some of your top priorities. So what about maintaining the property? This job is best left to skilled professionals who can take on various tasks from plumbing to cleaning to remodeling. Having a property maintenance company you can trust is invaluable to keep your building or facility in top shape. As experts in commercial property maintenance in Minneapolis and surrounding areas, we want to provide some tips to consider when searching for your maintenance team.
1. Know your needs and expectations
Before anything else, you need to know exactly what type of assistance you need from the property maintenance company and what tasks you’ll expect them to do. Will they be responsible for cleaning in addition to making repairs? Do you want them to maintain and repair heating and air conditioning units? Do you expect them to maintain outdoor areas as well, such as walkways and parking lots? These are just a few questions to consider to help you know how much maintenance assistance you need. You also need to take in account the size of your property and buildings.
2. Decide if you need full-time, part-time or contract
Based on your answers to the questions above, determine if you will need full-time maintenance, part-time maintenance or just a reliable company you can contract to help when needed. At BMM, we are available for all the above options. We know each property is different, with varying levels of maintenance needs.
3. Screen the company and employees
Just as you would screen tenants or potential employees for your business, you should do the same for your property maintenance company. Do some background work to check their reputation. Ask for references and call them. You can also look for online reviews. These extra steps take time, but they are worth it to be sure you get a reliable and trustworthy company to work at your property.
4. Test them out
See if you can hire the company for a trial period to see how they work with your property and meet maintenance needs. Make sure the expectations are clear at the beginning on what you’d like them to handle. Then meet to discuss so any issues or questions can be worked out as needed. At the end of the trial period, evaluate how things went and what improvements need to be made.
At Building Maintenance Management, we understand how important it is to find the right property maintenance company. If you are looking for commercial property maintenance in Minneapolis or surrounding Twin Cities areas, give us a call at 763-541-4886 or you can Contact Us.
At Building Maintenance Management, we handle a variety of tasks to help keep your commercial property running as it should. And, that includes everything, from your A/C to the gutters to your dryer vents! That’s right, dryer vents! Dryer vent cleaning is the maintenance task that can often be overlooked for multi-housing complexes. But we’ve got you covered.
When you are responsible for a multi-housing property, you want to be sure the residents are safe and that safety hazards are kept to a minimum. One thing that can often be overlooked is dryer vent cleaning. St Paul apartment complexes can easily start fire by neglecting this very important task. Whether you have a common area for laundry or each unit has their own washer and dryer, you will want to be sure the vents are cleaned for everyone’s safety. Still not sure? Here are some facts taken from the U.S. Fire Administration:
- The leading cause of dryer fires is a failure to clean them.
- 2,900 clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries and $35 million in property loss.
So, what is there to do? Our team of property maintenance technicians can perform dryer vent cleaning to greatly reduce the risk of a fire starting from a dryer. A few of the steps we take when we come out to your business include:
- Removal of lint in ducts to ensure air can flow properly.
- Make sure the outdoor vent covering opens when the dryer is on.
- Check to make sure nests of small animals and insects are not blocking the outside vent.
- Inspect the venting system behind the dryer to ensure it is not damaged or restricted.
- Add a covering on outside wall dampers to keep out rain, snow and dirt if one is not already in place.
- Replace coiled-wire foil or plastic with rigid, non-ribbed metal duct that is less likely to trap lint.
Until your professional dryer vent cleaning, here are a few things you can do to prevent dryer fires:
- Ensure tenants don’t overload the dryer
- Remind tenants to clean the lint filter before or after each load
- Keep the area around the clothes dryer free of items that could burn.
With proper and routine maintenance done by you and the residents at your property, the chance of a fire starting from dryer vents is greatly reduced.
If you would like to learn more about dryer vent cleaning in St Paul, call Building Maintenance Management at 763-541-4886 or you can Contact Us.
If you own an apartment or multi-housing complex, you know how important it is to keep each unit looking its best. Trying to rent a dirty apartment or business unit simply won’t get you the amount in rent or quality of renter you deserve. To keep quality tenants coming to your complex, you need to keep the units as clean and up-to-date as possible. That’s where we can come in. At BMM, we are an apartment turnover company serving Golden Valley and can provide a fresh coat of paint and thorough cleaning for your commercial property in-between tenants.
New buildings seem to be going up constantly. And, in order to compete with these new places, some important maintenance and updates must be performed. With the growth of renters in the Twin Cities area, we have seen the increased need for an apartment turnover company to help get units ready for renting. Sometimes, depending on your previous tenant, the cleaning and maintenance needed could be a huge undertaking. An apartment turnover is often not something you can do on your own; even with all the elbow crease in Minnesota. But, don’t stress. The experts at BMM are ready and willing to provide you with excellent cleaning, painting, plumbing, repairs and maintenance when you need it. Our apartment turnover company can provide many forms of unit renovation from small repairs and paint to a complete overhaul. Here are some examples of the services we can provide:
- Comprehensive cleaning
- Interior painting
- Flooring repair and installation
- Lighting repair and installation
- Kitchen and bathroom updates
- Concrete work
- Exterior painting and signage repair
- And more
It is also important to keep common areas up-to-date and looking fresh. This can include the entryways, laundry room, lobby and any other shared areas. The outside of the apartment complex is important as well. Shrubbery, signage and landscaping can often be the first thing a potential tenant sees when coming to view the unit. So, our job as an apartment turnover company is to make sure you make the best first impression possible.
We can clean and repair units that are empty between tenants or even while the unit is occupied. Most tenants will be willing to put up with some minor inconvenience in order to get new flooring, cabinets or lighting.
So, when you’re ready to learn more about our apartment turnover company serving Golden Valley, call Building Maintenance Management at 763-541-4886 or you can Contact Us.